More than 100 years ago the Seventh-day Adventist Church recognized the special, God-given gifts of women in our church. In 1898, Mrs. Sarepta Henry became the first Women's Ministries director for the General Conference. Ellen White encouraged her, and she worked tirelessly to establish a network and support system for women in the church. She was granted a ministerial license, and she published and traveled widely. When she died in 1900, a nine-member committee worked for a while, but then Women's Ministries quietly faded from activity. Reactivated in 1990, Women's Ministries became a department of the General Conference in 1995, and has continued to grow around the world.